If we’re not out and about in the rain, we like to store away the trusty umbrellas and tuck in for a good movie. Being big umbrella lovers we love films that feature our favorite stylish accessory. We’re sharing our top movie choices that feature fashionable (and functional!) umbrellas.
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
Of course a movie featuring an adorable shop girl who has her own umbrella store would be a go-to film for a rainy day. The story of this quaint little umbrella shop girl and her boyfriend the mechanic. Watching their sweet relationship unfold before finding out he will have to enlist in the army, leaving his girlfriend behind with a tough decision to make in his absence. This film is said to have launched Catherine Deneuve’s career and we can totally see why. The colors throughout the movie make it one of our most favorite foreign films! The clip below features one of our favorite love songs, but it also features all the trendy umbrellas & bicycles walking through the quiet french streets (oh-la-la!).
One of the greatest musicals with some of today’s most memorable songs. Everyone’s favorite practical and a wee bit quirky nanny is famous for flying off under her sturdy full sized black umbrella as she bids the Banks family a silent farewell. The umbrella and parasol theme is quite present throughout the entire film. Nanny Poppins trades in her trusty black umbrella with its less than comfortable bird handle after her arrival for a dainty compact white parasol when she & Bert take the Banks kids on an adventure. Nanny Poppins is even seen dancing with that small lace parasol when she & Bert (Dick VanDyke) do one of the most memorable songs from any childhood “Supercalifragilisticexpialidoscious”. A personal favorite is “Step In Time” performed by Bert & his fellow chimney sweeps – with you guessed it, chimney sweeps that resemble large black umbrellas!
Speaking of musicals featuring umbrellas – did you know TRAY6 umbrellas featured in a musical that’s a bit more recent. Our full size grass green umbrellas made a cameo appearance in the newer hit classic, High School Musical 3.
High School Musical 3.
This peppy conclusion to the HSM series features the gang’s senior year with just the same amount of high-energy dance numbers that are sure to dance away any rainy day blues you may have. Did you know our Grass Green Umbrellas make a cameo appearance in one of the musical numbers? Try and sneak a peek next time you watch it!
Following up our post on which umbrellas would pair up well with Presidential candidates, we thought we’d continue our umbrella coverage of the election (pun intended!) by picking out some fashionable umbrellas for the VP nominees!
Which umbrella says Biden all over it? And which umbrella would Ryan rock? We’ll just have to see how they pair up below!
Vice President Nominees & Their Fashionable Umbrella Pairings
Joe Biden: We think Joe Biden would pair well with our trendy but classic blue pinstripe umbrella to represent for the blue states as well as pairing well with his fashionable tie!
Jill Biden: Jill Biden is setting the trend by wearing metallic which pair perfectly with our stylish and reliable Gold Grass Compact Umbrella that’s the perfect travel size for all her speaking engagements.
Paul Ryan: Paul Ryan’s got to stay dry on the campaign trail and with the American flag behind him we’re pairing our bold Red Bloom Compact Umbrella.
Janna Ryan: Janna Ryan isn’t afraid to wear bright colors when she’s meeting and greeting the public. We think our fun travel size Orange Brushwood Umbrella would fit perfectly in her handbag while she’s out and about!
Celebs have been rocking pastel this spring – pastels are sweet & elegant and really popular.We’re pairing some of our favorite celebrity fashionistas with some of our favorite pastel umbrellas. These umbrellas are what we image these celebs would rock during their next stormy day out. We imagine they have many people to carry their umbrellas for them, though! Check out some of our favorite pairings between fashionable celebrities & some of our favorite umbrellas.
When you work with accessories that follow closely to fashion trends, we often look ahead at what might become the latest style & trend to hit the streets. This dictates future inspiration and designs that make their way into the TRAY6 design lab. Since fashion & accessories are often changing, we thought we’d make some fun predictions towards what 2012 will bring our way!
1. Purples are on their way out. Nipping at their heels are oranges. We think orange will play a big role in 2012 – in fashion and accessories. Prepare to see oranges, tangerines, & sunset making their debut everywhere.
2. Big bags are making a come back. While we’ve seen adorable clutches taking over the last year or so – the big bag will continue to reign king. A woman needs a place to store all her goodies, as well as making a fashion statement wherever she goes.
3. Business casual is going to find itself far from the office. We’re predicting blazers continue to make their re-entrance to both the office & fashion world. Paired over a cute dress or even jeans and cute tee – your outfit is automatically taken to the next level. Add some bright red lipstick and you’re ready for a night on the town, or an all-nighter in the office.
4. The return of furs & leathers. Call it a tribute to our viking ancestors if you will, but we’re definitely seeing an increased trend in furs (faux of course!) and leather jackets being paired with sweet baby doll dresses making their way through the fashion magazine. We’re betting we’ll see longer & longer jackets as this trend rises – as well as tassels & fringe on matching bags & accessories.
5. Long is long gone. The era of the floor length maxi dress & gowns are gone. We predict in 2012 the hemline will continue to get higher & higher. Formal or fresh & casual – you’ll see these adorable above the knee dresses making their arrival known. More & more dresses are being made to pair to with shoes that can be shown off, instead of being hidden under a floor gracing gown.